36 Young Street, Manchester, M3 3FT
DX: 718188 MCH 3
Direct Dial: 0161 832 9082
5 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2NE
DX: 713113 LEEDS PARK SQ
Direct Dial: 0113 242 1123
Embassy House, 60 Church Street,
Birmingham, B3 2DJ
DX: 13023 BIRMINGHAM
Direct Dial: 0121 200 3570
Clerked by:Louise Barnes
Fay is a specialist court of protection and chancery barrister. She has a broad practice that encompasses contentious probate, trusts, property disputes and all sides of Court of Protection work.
Year of Call: 2011
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Charities, Trusts & Probate
Fay’s chancery practice encompasses both contentious and non-contentious work with a particular emphasis on probate, inheritance claims and trusts matters. She is routinely instructed in the following types of cases:
- Contested probate claims, including the validity of wills.
- Applications to court under the 1975 Act.
- Applications to court for the removal of personal representatives and trustees.
- Trust disputes.
- Applications to court for directions in relation to questions or disputes involving trusts and estates.
- Claims arising from breach of trust or fiduciary duty
- Proprietary estoppel, constructive trust and mutual will claims.
- Applications to court for rectification of wills and rectification or setting aside of deeds
- Applications to vary trusts.
- Related professional negligence claims.
Court of Protection & Mental Health
Fay’s thriving court of protection practice focuses on property and affairs with a particular emphasis on statutory wills, lifetime gifting applications and contested applications concerning deputies and attorneys. Her property and affairs work is informed by her chancery practice.
Whilst a large part of Fay’s practice concerns property and affairs she is adept at handling health and welfare matters, including, medical treatment, welfare disputes and deprivation of liberty proceedings. She is often instructed by the official solicitor, local authorities, NHS Trusts and clinical commissioning groups.
Fay accepts instructions to represent parties at inquests.
Property advice and litigation accounts for a growing part of Fay’s practice. She deals routinely with the following matters
- Proprietary estoppel claims
- Co-ownership disputes and applications under TOLATA.
- Adverse possession and boundary disputes.
- Easements and freehold covenants.
- Residential and business tenancies and claims for possession.
- Mortgages and accounts
Court Of Protection Practitioners Association (COPPA)
North Eastern Circuit
Classics and Ancient History BA (Hons) First Class - University of Manchester
Graduate Diploma in Law, Distinction – BPP
Bar Professional Training Course, Very Competent - Manchester Metropolitan University
Sir Joseph Cantley Award, Middle Temple
Sarah Marsland Prize for academic excellence, University of Manchester