36 Young Street, Manchester, M3 3FT
DX: 718188 MCH 3
Direct Dial: 0161 832 9082
5 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2NE
DX: 713113 LEEDS PARK SQ
Direct Dial: 0113 242 1123
Embassy House, 60 Church Street,
Birmingham, B3 2DJ
DX: 13023 BIRMINGHAM
Direct Dial: 0121 200 3570
Clerked by:Colin Griffin
Rupert worked in sports media before being called to the bar dealing.
He has extensive knowledge and expertise, and undertakes both advisory work and advocacy, in all aspects of sports litigation including regulatory work, doping, free movement and right to play cases, work permit and immigration matters, contractual disputes, sponsorship and disciplinary proceedings.
Rupert has also appeared for both Claimants and Defendants in ‘field of play’ injury cases including both amateur and professional level sports.
He regularly lectures and gives seminars on sports law subjects and is a co-author of several leading books in the field.
Rupert is a member of the British Association of Sport and Law (BASL).
Drawing upon his previous experience of working for a sports television company Rupert undertakes work in all aspects of media law including advisory, drafting and advocacy work in defamation, privacy and media regulation actions.
Matters in which Rupert has acted in include:
- Representing boxing promoters and licence holders in disciplinary proceedings brought by the British Boxing Board of Control.
- Advising a professional football referee in respect of an unfair dismissal claim against the FA.
- Advising and representing an ex-international footballer in breach of contract proceedings relating to live entertainment events.
- Acting for a semi-professional footballer in a field of play personal injury action.
- Advising a professional cricket coach in relation to constructive and unfair dismissal.
- Advising a leading speedway circuit in respect of safety rules imposed by the governing body.
- Representing a school in an action brought for personal injury by a pupil injured during hockey practice.
Christine Ohuruogu v British Olympic Association (November 2007) - appeal against lifetime ban on competing at the Olympic Games
Year of Call: 2001
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Professional Negligence
- Sports Law
British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
Personal Injuries Bar Association (PIBA)
Administrative Law Bar Association (ALBA)
- Co-author of the Halsbury Centenary Essay ‘The Field of Play’ (Butterworths, 2007)
- Contributor to the New Oxford Companion to Law (Oxford, 2008) on the subjects of combat and blood sports
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of England volume on Sports (Butterworths, 2012)
- Co-author of Sports Law by Beloff, Kerr and Demetriou (2nd Edition)(Hart Publishing, 2012)
- Co-author of Atkins Court Forms volume on Sports (Lexis Nexis, 2013)
- Contributor to the International Sports Law Review
LLB PgDip(EC Law)
Rupert read History at Christ Church, Oxford, before studying Law at the University of Buckingham. He achieved the top first class law degree in the university; won university prizes for tort, EC law, trusts, criminal law and contract; and obtained the Edgar Palamountain Award for Excellence and Aylesbury Vale DC prize for Public Law. He holds a Postgraduate Diploma in EC Law from King's College, London.
Rupert worked in sports media before training for the Bar and undertaking pupillage at No5 Chambers. He is a member of Gray's Inn.