36 Young Street, Manchester, M3 3FT
DX: 718188 MCH 3
Direct Dial: 0161 832 9082
5 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2NE
DX: 713113 LEEDS PARK SQ
Direct Dial: 0113 242 1123
Embassy House, 60 Church Street,
Birmingham, B3 2DJ
DX: 13023 BIRMINGHAM
Direct Dial: 0121 200 3570
Clerked by:Colin Griffin
Rupert undertakes advisory and advocacy work in all areas of IP with particular focus on trademarks, copyright, image rights and matters related to sports.
Matters in which Rupert has recently acted include:
- Advising a local authority in respect of copyright issues relating to the illegal downloading of a film by a teacher during a lesson.
- Advising a nursery in respect of threatened proceedings for trademark infringement.
- Advising a removals firm in respect of the unauthorised use of a trade bodies logo and trademark on its website.
In addition Rupert undertakes work in all aspects of media law including advisory, drafting and advocacy work in defamation, privacy and media regulation actions.
Year of Call: 2001
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Professional Negligence
- Sports Law
British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
Personal Injuries Bar Association (PIBA)
Administrative Law Bar Association (ALBA)
- Co-author of the Halsbury Centenary Essay ‘The Field of Play’ (Butterworths, 2007)
- Contributor to the New Oxford Companion to Law (Oxford, 2008) on the subjects of combat and blood sports
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of England volume on Sports (Butterworths, 2012)
- Co-author of Sports Law by Beloff, Kerr and Demetriou (2nd Edition)(Hart Publishing, 2012)
- Co-author of Atkins Court Forms volume on Sports (Lexis Nexis, 2013)
- Contributor to the International Sports Law Review
LLB PgDip(EC Law)
Rupert read History at Christ Church, Oxford, before studying Law at the University of Buckingham. He achieved the top first class law degree in the university; won university prizes for tort, EC law, trusts, criminal law and contract; and obtained the Edgar Palamountain Award for Excellence and Aylesbury Vale DC prize for Public Law. He holds a Postgraduate Diploma in EC Law from King's College, London.
Rupert worked in sports media before training for the Bar and undertaking pupillage at No5 Chambers. He is a member of Gray's Inn.