36 Young Street, Manchester, M3 3FT
DX: 718188 MCH 3
Direct Dial: 0161 832 9082
5 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2NE
DX: 713113 LEEDS PARK SQ
Direct Dial: 0113 242 1123
Embassy House, 60 Church Street,
Birmingham, B3 2DJ
DX: 13023 BIRMINGHAM
Direct Dial: 0121 200 3570
Clerked by:Colin Griffin
Public Law & Local Governmen
Rupert is an experienced public law and commercial barrister who is regularly instructed to advise and represent local authorities and other public bodies. His practice covers:
- Judicial and statutory review.
- Vires and local government powers.
- Constitutional issues, powers and duties.
- Regulatory and disciplinary matters.
- Discrimination and equality duties.
- State aid and public procurement.
- Trademarks and intellectual property.
- Inquests and inquiries.
Rupert is a contributing author to ‘Goudie, Supperstone and Walker: Judicial Review’ and a member of ALBA.
Rupert worked in sports media before being called to the bar and completing a commercial and planning pupillage.
Rupert has a broad commercial and public law practice with a particular expertise in all aspects of sports and media law. He has extensive experience of appearing in courts and tribunals in London and nationwide, including high value complex claims.
Rupert’s clients include regulatory bodies, sports clubs and agencies, sportsmen and women, national insurance companies, local authorities, FTSE listed companies, company directors, auctioneers and professionals.
He accepts instructions across a wide range of Chambers’ work in both an advisory and advocacy capacity.
Year of Call: 2001
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Professional Negligence
- Sports Law
British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
Personal Injuries Bar Association (PIBA)
Administrative Law Bar Association (ALBA)
- Co-author of the Halsbury Centenary Essay ‘The Field of Play’ (Butterworths, 2007)
- Contributor to the New Oxford Companion to Law (Oxford, 2008) on the subjects of combat and blood sports
- Contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of England volume on Sports (Butterworths, 2012)
- Co-author of Sports Law by Beloff, Kerr and Demetriou (2nd Edition)(Hart Publishing, 2012)
- Co-author of Atkins Court Forms volume on Sports (Lexis Nexis, 2013)
- Contributor to the International Sports Law Review
LLB PgDip(EC Law)
Rupert read History at Christ Church, Oxford, before studying Law at the University of Buckingham. He achieved the top first class law degree in the university; won university prizes for tort, EC law, trusts, criminal law and contract; and obtained the Edgar Palamountain Award for Excellence and Aylesbury Vale DC prize for Public Law. He holds a Postgraduate Diploma in EC Law from King's College, London.
Rupert worked in sports media before training for the Bar and undertaking pupillage at No5 Chambers. He is a member of Gray's Inn.