EU and Competition Law
Kings Chambers is the principal set of barristers operating in the Regions specialising in EU & Competition Law. It has a dedicated team (headed by Adam Aldred) competent to advise on all areas of competition (antitrust) law.
Our members have assisted clients in numerous market sectors to resolve competition law issues facing their businesses, including cartels, dominance, mergers, market investigations, litigation, trading agreements and compliance. Our members are well-known to case officers and staff at the Competition & Markets Authority (CMA) and the European Commission, having dealt with many mergers, dawn raids, investigations, and leniency applications.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Advisory, including training and compliance
- EU and UK merger control
- EU and UK distribution strategies
- Competition (Antitrust) litigation, including follow-on and stand-alone court actions and mediations
- Abuse of dominance
- Sectoral regulated regimes (e.g. telecommunications, utilities, health and financial services)
- Public Procurement
- State Aid (see below)
Our Members have appeared before:
- Competition & Markets Authority
- European Commission
- Arbitration panels
- The Competition Appeal Tribunal
- The High Court of Justice
- The Court of Appeal
- The European Courts in Luxembourg
- In addition, our members can appear before domestic courts and tribunals at all levels to argue questions of EU and competition law.
Members are also able to act as expert witnesses on UK and EU competition law and speak regularly at competition law conferences in the UK and across Europe and contribute to leading text books and journals.
Our members can advise those affected by State Aid, including government bodies, actual and potential aid recipients and their competitors. The context ranges from the lawfulness of proposed financial and other measures to EU State aid investigations, proceedings before UK courts and tribunals and challenges to Commission decisions before other EU courts.