36 Young Street, Manchester, M3 3FT
DX: 718188 MCH 3
Direct Dial: 0161 832 9082
5 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2NE
DX: 713113 LEEDS PARK SQ
Direct Dial: 0113 242 1123
Embassy House, 60 Church Street,
Birmingham, B3 2DJ
DX: 13023 BIRMINGHAM
Direct Dial: 0121 200 3570
Clerked by:Harry Young
- All aspects of insolvency work (corporate and personal)
- Appears regularly in the Chancery Applications lists in Manchester and Leeds
- Mortgage possession (including claims for undue influence and overriding interests)
- Partnership and company disputes (including unfair prejudice petitions and directors’ disqualification)
Significant Reported Cases
Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills v. Oasis Limousines (Bradford) Ltd  EWHC 2432 (Ch) – application for appointment of a provisional liquidator
"He is an exceptional intellect and a skilled advocate."
Ben joined chambers in April 2008 after pupillage at 8 King Street Chambers, Manchester.
Ben practises in all aspects of commercial dispute resolution and in a range of chancery and insolvency work, with strong specialisms in the areas set out below. He undertakes drafting, advisory and advocacy work in equal measures. He regularly appears across the Northern, North-Eastern and Midlands Circuits and in London. He is increasingly instructed to handle multi-day trials and applications in the County Court and specialist District Registries.
Ben approaches every instruction with intellectual rigour, attention to detail, commercial pragmatism and speed. His attitude is that cases are won on the facts and lost on the law, so that it is essential to identify and analyse the key issues early to achieve the best result for his client. He is also aware of the ever-pressing need to give a firm, clear view on prospects, for the benefit of client and insurer/funder.
Ben acts predominantly as sole Counsel and has been led by chambers’ silks on a number of occasions. His clients span the range from large corporations and institutions to private individuals; and the subject matter ranges from multi-million pound claims to his client’s home.
Year of Call: 2005
Areas of Expertise
- Dispute Resolution
- Professional Negligence
Northern Commercial Bar Association (committee member since 2015)
Chancery Bar Association
Northern Chancery Bar Association
British Irish Commercial Bar Association
- The Consumer Rights Act 2015 – NCCBA seminar September 2015
- “Professional negligence – Jackson and the litigator” – Kings Chambers conference series 2014
- Third party costs orders, including orders against legal representatives – in-house seminar September 2013 for Berrymans Lace Mawer LLP
Qualifications and awards
BA (Hons) Literae Humaniores – first class (Balliol College Oxford)
GDL (City University, London)
BVC (BPP Law School, London)
Major Scholar (Inner Temple)
"He is an exceptional intellect and a skilled advocate." - Chambers UK 2015
"He is as bright as a button; he has a great delivery and a good courtroom presence."- Chambers UK 2014