Click on the drop-down menu to search for a barrister in this area.
or search by barrister name
Members of the Public Law section advise and represent parties inall matters arising out of the Education Acts, appearing before all thevarious tribunals and courts in this area of law. We act on behalf ofparents, pupils and students as well as teachers, school governors,schools, colleges, universities and local education authorities.
Our expertise includes providing advice and representation in the following areas:-
- Special educational needs in relation to the assessment,failure to provide a proper statement, and failure to make properprovision for a statemented pupil, including appeals to the SpecialEducational Needs and Disability Tribunal and to the High Court andjudicial review proceedings to require appropriate provision in aStatement.
- Exclusions from schools, colleges anduniversities, including appeals against exclusions and judicial reviewchallenges to decisions of governing bodies and Independent AppealPanels.
- Admissions and admission policies, includingappeals against refusals of admission and judicial review proceedingsagainst the admissions criteria decisions of Admissions Appeal Panels.
- Educational negligence and other damages claims in both maintained and independent schools.
- Human Rights Act issues, specifically in relation to the right to education.
- Education of children belonging to the gypsy and traveler community.
To view a list of our members who specialise in this area, please click on the drop down menu to the left.