36 Young Street, Manchester, M3 3FT
DX: 718188 MCH 3
Direct Dial: 0161 832 9082
5 Park Square, Leeds, LS1 2NE
DX: 713113 LEEDS PARK SQ
Direct Dial: 0113 242 1123
Embassy House, 60 Church Street,
Birmingham, B3 2DJ
DX: 13023 BIRMINGHAM
Direct Dial: 0121 200 3570
Clerked by:Colin Griffin
Andrew has considerable experience in advising upon and acting on behalf of clients with substantial insurance related disputes and in respect of subrogated claims. His experience includes:-
- Advising an insurer on whether a particular term was a policy condition (George Hunt Cranes Limited v Scottish Boiler & General Insurance Co Limited  EWCA Civ 1964,  1 All ER (Comm) 366)
- Advising on whether an indemnity insurer is entitled to refuse to indemnify its insured in respect of liability arising out of a fire causing damage valued at approximately £500,000 on the grounds of breach of warranty and/or excluded peril
- A claim on behalf of the insured against underwriters and an insurance broker for over £1.5m arising out of an alleged non-disclosure of material events
- A claim against an insurance broker for over £3 million for failing to inform the underwriters of convictions for Trading Standards offences and for completing proposal forms without referring to such convictions as a consequence of which the underwriters avoided flood damage cover
- A quantum only arbitration against an insurer arising out of 2 successive fires at a hotel where claims were made in respect of both material damage and business interruption
Andrew’s practices almost exclusively in Commercial and Chancery Dispute Resolution including Arbitration and International Disputes. He also undertakes some non-contentious work.
He was called to the Bar following a short career as a full time law lecturer at Wadham College, Oxford and part time lecturer at King’s College, London. He is currently the Chair of the Northern Circuit Commercial Bar Association.
Andrew specializes in cases of high value and considerable complexity. He has particular expertise in contractual and corporate disputes and regularly appears against QCs and other senior junior Counsel. His clients include banks and major public companies as well as a number of smaller manufacturing and other companies and professional firms.
Year of Call: 1991
Areas of Expertise
- Banking & Finance
- Dispute Resolution
Chambers UK 2017
"A very brainy lawyer who always fights very hard for his client." "His written work and advice is always to a very high standard."
"An untiring and tenacious barrister." "He is extremely bright and offers a high standard of client service as well as sound, technical and commercial advice."
Chambers UK 2016
"A very proactive, quick and efficient practitioner."
"He is extremely thorough and an excellent advocate with a very good understanding of the law."
"He is very knowledgeable and gives good, concise advice."
Chambers UK 2015
"He's a well-regarded chancery practitioner. You know you're in for a good and well-prepared fight."
"He is hugely hard-working and client-focused."
Legal 500 2017
‘Always well prepared and conscientious with clients.’
Legal 500 2015
"He always ensures he has considered every angle"
Chambers UK 2014
"The quality of his written argument was superlative, as was the quality of his research. His judgement was very impressive."
Chambers UK 2013
"a good technician" who is "highly thorough, hard-working and bright." His particular areas of focus includes business and share sales, insurance and reinsurance and shareholder disputes. "
Chambers UK 2012
"great commercial acumen" that he uses in "getting to the crux of each dispute quickly." He is a firm favourite among solicitors, who say he is "fantastic with clients" as well as "very diligent and bright."
Legal 500 2012
"Recommended for commercial dispute resolution"
Legal 500 2011
"very diligent, bright and conscientious"
Chambers UK 2010
"charming to deal with but appropriately aggressive - he gives no quarter." His practice centres on commercial and corporate dispute resolution, with international disputes and claims for injunctive relief representing areas of particular expertise."
Legal 500 2010
"widely experienced in high-value commercial disputes"
Chambers UK 2009
"enjoys a sizeable commercial and construction practice. He stands out for his attention to detail and his "incisive mind" and is particularly adept at handling complex actions"
Chambers UK 2008
"remains one of the first ports of call for clients on serious cases"
Chambers UK 2007
"adds an international dimension to the group with his experience in cross border disputes. Described as "an astute courtroom performer," he is seen by interviewees as an exciting prospect for the future"
Northern Circuit Commercial Bar Association (Chair)
Northern Chancery Bar Association
Chancery Bar Association
Commercial Litigation Pre Emptive Remedies (Sweet & Maxwell)
St Catharine’s College, Oxford: BA 1988 (Jurisprudence), BCL 1989, MA 1997
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators: Fellow 2001